Sunday 18 November 2007

Football.........

I don't understand football. I don't pretend to. Nor do I particularly want to. I sometimes feign interest for the purpose of the boyfriend but in all honestly I find the entire activity dull and a little pointless (boys chasing a ball - little reminiscent of dogs in a park?).

And yet. the other day I, yes the embodiment of ultimate football disinterest, had to do a report on Ebbsfleet United.

They have become the first football club to be run by fans via a website called MyFootballClub.com. Members pay to join up, and then, alledgedly, get to have a personal contribution to how the team is run.

Somehow, out of a group of 5, including a boy, and an avid football fan, I managed to land this story. But, in a truly professional manner, I took a deep breath, and went for it.

I interviewed the club director (a man called Roly - like the pudding). And he didn't seem to notice my utter football ignorance. In fact, at the end he asked if I spported Ebbsfleet. That was followed by an awkward silence.

Using the interview I wrote up my entire report, and by the time it came to reading it, I actually understood the whole concept.

Don't get me wrong, I asked a LOT of questions, needed a LOT explained to me, and still have not got the correct football jargon. But I did it.

And I have now developed a very strong attachment to Ebbsfleet United. In fact, given a few more weeks, I may become a real fan.

No comments: