Thursday 1 November 2007

Old School Internet

My internet troubles have now come to resemble a saga of epic proportions. We now have a phone line (thank you Bt - we only had to wait a total of two months). And should finally have a wireless broadband package by december.

So, until then, I am stuck using this internet cafe.

And what a charcter building experience this is. The cafe is basically the front room of a guy's house. There are about 10 computeres in here. The newest, I would estimate, is about 20 years old. In fact these computers are so big, not one can have been made any earlier than the mid-80's.

Eacgh computer is precariously balanced on coffe tables. Most of these are missing at least one leg (some helpful bricks, and in one case a pile of mouldering newspapers is the replacement)and due to the vast size of the computer there is no room for either a mouse, or a keyboard.

So, the keyboard is balanced on my lap. The mouse is on the floor. Although I must be careful when reaching down for the mouse as my chair has three normal legs, and one, and no I am not joking, about a third shorter than the rest. It's a bit like being on a rocking chair. But less stable.

Today I have been lucky. As only two of the keyboards actullay have a full range of letters, often you have to wait for one to come free if you are indulging in activities such as writing a blog. Sometimes I've thought I can get away with it, but if the missing letters are "a" and "d" it really is impossible. There is one keyboard which is missing an "@" - fine, except for that all important internet acitivity of emailing (although, saying this, the internt here is so slow, that someytimes I wonder if it would perhaps be less stressful and more time efficient just to post a letter).

Periodically throughout my stay in here I am offered by the mute owner, "carribean coffee". As far as I can tell it is just two heaped teaspoons of kenko coffee and some hot water in a chipped mug. It's no tea at the Savoy.

ALl in all though, I shouldn't complain. Last time I was here I stayed for 2hrs, printed off about 20 pages, and was only charged £1.

No comments: