Thursday 17 January 2008

Berlin

The boyfriend and I went to Berlin just before christmas.

I had never been to Germany before. In all honesty, I had never been very interested in it.

But after a four day mini break there, I have completely fallen in love with the place.

While there I did four v. amazing things:

1. Actually saw all the major cultural things of a city
2. touched a penguin
3. had the best gin and tonic in the world.
4. wore flat shoes the entire time

In achieving all these things I feel I embraced a lot of what Berlin has to offer.

The boyfriend and I went on a boat tour of the city, which was a lovely (and warm) way to do it. And then we walked through a lot of it. Went to the Reichstag, the Brandenburg Gate, the Jewish Museum (holocaust tower was really chilling - being shut outside in a completely lightless, heatless lonely place. very unsettling).

Went to christmas markets. Ate a lot of sausage. Drank a lot of beer. Went on a giant snow slide. Generally embraced Berlin culture.

We went to the zoo. Best zoo EVER. Way better than shitty London Zoo.

In Berlin zoo the animals are so close. and they walk around. and play. In London, you barely see any of them. They are all asleep.

But not in Germany. Knut (who was fat - disappointing) was playing a lovely game with some rope. A rhino came and sniffed me (the boyfriend ruined it by pulling me away). And when it came to the penguins (the ultimate part of any zoo) i leant over and touched one. actually about five.

They were all swimming this way. then that way. then back again. they were LOVELY.

Another major part of Berlin, it seems, is the night life, bar culture and techno clubs (which the boyfriend and I inadvertantly got involved in).

The bars are brilliant. Friendly, great atmosphere, and everywhere. Not expenisve. Best place seemed to be Oranienberger Platz. Good stuff there. Good food, friendly people. It was all great.

And despite the very impressive public transport (way better than London - cheaper, cleaner, more reliable, though a lot of graffiti) we did do a lot of walking.

and i had had four very large and painful wisdom teeth removed a mere few days before. So the boyfriend strongly insisted (methinks on stern advice from the Wiganer) on flat shoes.

And my gosh. They are wonderful. Don't get me wrong. This is strictly off the record. My true position is eughhhh, how vile, flat shoes, me NEVER. But in the sub-zero temperatures of winter Berlin, fluffy boots are heaven.

And just make moving so much faster. As the boyfriend pointed out - i developed (and I am ashamed to admit this) a short person scuttle.

All in all, if you are reading this and are not in Berlin GO THERE. And if you are in Berlin, stop reading this and go outside. It's brill.

No comments: