Thursday 11 November 2010

The Book Club

My lovely Deeks has upped sticks and moved from ultra poshy Vogue House, to working in an artist's old workshop in Shoreditch. She is doing a dream job, and I couldn't be happier, not only for her own well being, but for the new opportunities that have opened up for lunch.

Finishing work at 12.30pm yesterday, I was one of the lucky (well, if it's considered lucky to get up at 3.15am!) people to have finished work and still have at least 4hours of sunlight left. And due to Miss Deeks' new location, coffee at our favourite Starbucks followed by a mosey round Topshop was out, and so I walked to Holborn, and hopped on a bus to Old Street.

Now east London is not somewhere I pretend to know. I have been a number of times, but to specific locations which I have got to by following strict directions. Yesterday was the first time I've wandered through some of the little streets in order to find a friend.

I met my Deeks outside an Eat. There was also a Pret at the other end of the street. And in between were a medley of wonders.

We settled on The Book Club. It was warm (delicious compared to the practically sub-zero temperatures outside), looked fun inside (randomly collected tables, chairs, stools and sofas) and the menu was perfect for a cold November day.

I had a jacket potato with chicken fajita pieces and a lovely green salad. Deeks had brocolli and cauliflower cheese with maple glazed ham. Both were big and hot and delicious.

After nattering/gossiping like old ladies, we soon had to part ways. As Deeks wandered back to her office, I decided to walk towards the city as it was a lovely day (sunny, but chilly) and I could have done with walking off some of my enormous lunch.

Wandering the streets of Shoreditch I cannot claim to now know the area, but I definitely feel less of an alien there. Give it a few more Book Club lunches (or after work drinks - a very impressive cocktail list including one Garden named one with elderflower and prosecco YUM!) and I will definitely be feeling more at home.

No comments: