Tuesday 3 November 2009

Jedward

I must confess that on the X-Factor front I have been a little lax this year. I loved it last year (and was a Diana Vickers fan through and through), but it wasn't until the contestants went to the judges houses that I started to watch it this time round.

And straight away I felt an animousity towards John and Edward. They were cocky, rude and egotistical. And their hair really is ridiculous.




But after they butchered Britney, I have to confess that I came to love them. Yes they can't sing, can't really dance, and are still incredibly arrogant. But they are so entertaining, especially compared to other contestants (who I can only describe as nice - they are inoffensive, have nice voices, nice faces, nice personalities, but they are all just nice. With the possbile exception of Olly).

But Jedward are hilarious. And when they put on a show, yes they are out of tune and out of time (even with each other), but they are the only act that I really look forward to. And it seems that the rest of Joe public feel the same, as despite Jedward's poor comments from the judges, they have yet to be in the bottom two.

I know they seem like the John Sergeant of this year's competition, but in some ways I feel that their farcical entry not only mocks the competition itself, but also the entertainment and pop world - we no longer appreciate talent and talent alone. We always want the drama and the entertainment that comes with it.

Although, in the words of David Frost, television enables you to be entertained in your home, by people you would never have in your home. And when it comes to Jedward, I could not agree more

No comments: