Tuesday 22 December 2009

Countdown to Christmas: Snow!

After the surprise snow in February, I had resigned myself to the fact that we had probably fulfilled our snow quota for this year.

And even though I do not enjoy the snow to play in (I don't like the cold, and really don't like getting soggy) I do love a bit of the white stuff, especially during the festive period.

So last thursday, off I went to bed, fully expecting that when I got up for the 4am shift I would be surrounded by a sea of white. And imagine my disappointment when the next morning there was not a flake to be seen.

And I got into work, and was joined in my upset by the presenter, who overtook my excitement by about 200% (he loves snow because he loves Christmas, and snow is festive - he has been giving out candy canes around the office since August. And no, I do not exaggerate). In fact he was so upset that after the show he wanted to drive into Kent (where there were severe weather warnings) purely to see the fluffy white drifts.

So after a disgruntled weekend (still no snow) and a disappointing Monday (still none) I was walking to the tube yesterday evening and suddenly the rain had more substance, and was floating rather than falling, and I was in the midst of a snowfall. And it settled and I had to trudge through it to the tube, and then off the other end and trudge through it to my front door. And, sorry to be cheesy, it was really magical.

And by then I had had my festive fill of snow, and was starting to feel a bit cold, and soggy, but it was ok, because when I woke up this morning all that was left was wet pavements and some small piles of slush.

No comments: