Tuesday 29 December 2009

Prague!

The boyfriend and I, every year, in the run up to Christmas, go away for a city break. Last year it was Budapest. This year it was Prague.



Now, I seem to be one of a tiny minority who, until a few weeks ago, had never been to Prague. Because it seems that EVERYONE has been there. Every time I mentioned that I was off there, at least 6 people would bombard me with things and places to do/see/visit.



By the time I arrived I felt that I had already seen bits of the city, and had heard so many tales of debauchery and drunkenness that I was starting to feel a little unsure. But an hour off the plane and I can securely say that I LOVE PRAGUE.


It is just the most wonderful place. Berlin was lovely, but big, and it took a while to find our feet, Budapest is grand but full of old ladies in their furs drinking coffee and eating cake. But Prague...


It's full of bars and beer and students and life. And has a smattering of culture, so you don't feel too guilty about all the beer drinking.

The first thing to mention was Christmas. It was everywhere - markets, trees, nativity, mulled wine - you name it, they had it. At least twice. The Boyfriend made it his mission to take as many pictures of Christmas trees as possible.

I thought we probably needed only one photo to demonstrate....


And one of the many nativity scenes!



We walked up one of the towers at one end of the Charles Fourth bridge (def worth doing - look at the view!)




and the other side....






We also went to the castle (quite good. Though nothing to get overexcited about - except for the grand bridge and marching soldiers).



And obviously I wanted to stand near one, and try to make him laugh, and pretend to be one, etc.





We also went inside the Cathedral (totally worth doing - really impressive and just inside the castle).


And inside, the boyfriend (in a way scarily reminiscent of my father) got a little carried away with the camera.



Another activity that I would really recommend is getting a boat along the river. Now, Prgaue is no Venice, or even a Berlin - the river is not big, and because of the weirs, the boat can't really go very far, but it is a lovely thing to do (just ask one of the guys on the bridge dressed as a sailor and voila - one boat trip with a private guide, mulled wine and gingerbread).



Another fun trip is to get the little funicular railway up the hill to the mini-Eiffel tower (it is a copy but on a much smaller scale). Again, there are lovely views.




Other fun things we did - went on a giant swing






The boyfriend tried to convince me to go to caberet (acutally, it's a strip club)




And, due to extreme climes (-4 in daytime, -9 at night - freezing) we drank lots of beer



and more beer











until it was time to go home. Go to Prague. It's great.



No comments: