Tuesday 19 January 2010

Bouncers

I went to the North at the weekend (one of my favourite place after London, containing some favourite people) and while I was there I went to the theatre.

This was theatre northern style. It was in an old working men's club (of which I was oblivious to the existence of prior to the weekend) ni Horwich (small place between Bolton and Wigan) and was an AmDram performance. I went because the money raised helps two favourite people put on a performance of Footloose.

The play was Bouncers. One that I had never seen before, and though I had heard of it, I was little aware of the genius of said play.

Using just 4 actors, it is a series of sketches tracing a night out on the town, starting with the meeting at the hairdressers, the bus stop, the pub, and the club, the taxi home. And it is from the perspective of 4 bouncers, four girls and four boys.

In each of the characters it was possible to see elements of our various friends. Sexy Susan flirting her way through the club, plain Elaine complaining that she was sweating. The boys urinal talk, and attempts to pick up girls, and the sleazy DJ's smooth talking.

The social observations were both acute and hilarious, accurate, but without going too far and becoming farcical. And the northern accent adds a level of comedy in itself.

As it was an AmDram production it was only on for one night, (although after the success of Saturday I believe that it is being performed again on 20th February at Horwich RMI for any that are interested).

No comments: