Sunday 24 January 2010

The North part 2

So last night I made my first journey into the unknown part of North London - Stoke Newington. Now, believing that I would be leaving all that I know and love, I prepared for the journey as any good traveller would - a book, drink, snack, Uggs (for long distance walking) ear-muffs, and especially re-charged my phone in case of emergencies.

So I got on the tube at Stockwell, preparing to get off at Finsbury park. I promptly fell asleep (a skill that has been perfected over months of erratic shifts) and woke up.... at Finsbury park. A mere 20minutes later.

I then came out of the tube, got some cash out (in case there were no cash machines in the black hole, alternatively known as Stoke Newington) called Mini, got some nonsensical directions, that culminated in getting the 106 bus.

So the journey still had the opportunity for the epic proportions I'd anticipated. But approximately 7minutes later I was at the stop next to her house. And I had arrived. Just half an hour after I had left. It takes me that long to get to the other end of the high street in Clapham.

Her flat is beautiful (except for the building site literally behind her house - it causes very little hassle as the hours of operation are a very considerate 8am-4pm monday to friday) and cheap (due to said building site). And it was filled with old friends. The kind that need no explanation for anything because they just know. And despite not seeing them for months, and one having got a new job, and another having been to four different continents since the last meeting, and one fresh from an 11hour flight from Hong Kong, give it 30seconds, and we are back to being at school, and nothing has changed.

We eventually left the cosiness of the flat to explore the wonders of Stoke Newington Church street - The Three Crowns was first. Good atmosphere, decent drinks, limited seating (unless you were eating, which no one was - so 15 free tables in the "dining area" and about 30 people jostling for standing space in the pub area - but we had a table so were happy), and a bit on the loud side. Fine for a night out, less ideal for a catch-up.

So we moved on (first stopping at a cash point - yes they DO have them!) to the Gold Bar. Which may become my new favourite place. Music but not too loud, beer garden, small interior, but somehow there always seemed to be just enough space, wonderful Caiprinhias and White Russians (Sophia's tipple of choice) and prosecco on tap - the way to any girl's heart. At least, any of my girls.

Obviously by 2am it was clear that I would not be faffing about with night buses, and therefore the epic journey home was a no go. But with a flat as big and nice as Mini's, sofa cushions and duvets was more than perfect for a sleepover.

And the best part - after a lazy breakfast and tea and chats and more tea and more chat it still only took half an hour to get home.

Maybe I shall be venturing North a little more often.... that is, if it'll have me.

No comments: