Saturday 23 January 2010

The North

I am a little partial to some northerness, but one area of the North that I generally avoid is North London. Not out of any snobbiness, but I just don't really go there.

My parents live in Queen's Park (lovely but a little dull) and when I first moved to London that was where I spent much of my time. Maybe that is why it has never appealed - I didn't have an unhappy time there, it was just insginifcant to the fun and enjoyment I have had in Brixton.

But after embracing the Northernness of Wigan and Bolton last weekend, the Boyfriend surprised my by taking me to dinner in the Northernness of London (Angel). This in itself was somewhat surprising - the Boyfriend is from the most southern of South London, Croydon.

So off we went, on the familiar Northern line from Stockwell to the unfamiliar Angel. We got off, assessed the situation and went off to find the restaurant.

Some things I noticed in Angel:

1. Not many black people
2. A lot of trendy people
3. Too many students
4. Nearly everyone, both male and female, seemed to be wearing Uggs.

None of these things (except maybe point 3) were a problem. They just seemed very apparent.

We went to a lovely restaurant, Di Monteforte, on Liverpool Road (indepedent restaurants seems to be something that Angel does well - another lovely place is Le Mercury on Upper Street - good, cheap French food). It was Sicilian, and the service was brilliant, it wasn't overprices (2 courses and a Bellini for £14.95) and the food was tasty. I had mussels (YUM) and swordfish (also yum, but the mussels really were wonderful - the creamy white wine sauce had a bit of a kick - unexpected but definitely worth it).

We then headed off to some bars. The Angelic was lovely (though rammed), the King's Head was my favourite - great atmosphere, we found seats, saw someone accidentally set themselves alight, and the drinks were yum and not mega expensive), a Pitcher and Piano (can't go wrong, although they are all rather samey), and another one that I can't remember, but I believe it was good.

Upper Street is great - everything one needs for a night out next to each other and in a row - you just can't go wrong. And posted at either end of the street is a tube station we can use to head home - perfect.

I did enjoy North London, and we shall no doubt venture out there again, but getting off the tube in Clapham, and seeing the familiar Falcon, with its enourmous heated beer garden, and limitless range of random beers (most notably Fruli for the Boyfriend, and the Royal Oak with it's random yet delicious list of cocktails, and it's deceptively small, but cosy interior and I know that despite the draw of the North, it is the South that holds my heart.

Saying that, I'm now off out to Stoke Newington, promised by a friend that this will forever change my mind. I'll let you know

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Woop woop North London rocks! It's where the cool kids are (well, me at least!) More visits soon please.